Re: Rail jobs in danger through competition

Barry Campbell wrote:

> David McLoughlin wrote in message <39600BE5.5C8C@iprolink.co.nz>...
> <snip>
>
> >I'd like to see some comparable figures.  NZ has 3.8 million people
> >which is more than the population of Queensland, so that needs to be
> >taken into account.
>
> Compared to Qld everything in NZ is in much the same place and compared to
> Qld there isn't a lot to cart in NZ but QR  has slashed its labour force
> drastically. I don't have the exact numbers, unfortunately.

Pardon? The NZ Railway system is about 1200 km long from Northland to
Invercargill including a major cross-strait ferry operation in the
middle, and there are many other lines besides the Main Trunk to which I
refer. The terrain, often very mountainous, has resulted in some amazing
feats of engineering such as the Raurimu Spriral and very long tunnels
through mountain ranges. It shifts huge loads of freight and also has
many passenger services.

Same gauge as Queensland's too!

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand