Re: Rail jobs in danger through competition

David Bromage wrote:

> The union representing rail workers says national competition policy will
> cost up to 3,000 Queensland Rail employees their jobs.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/regionals/capricornia/monthly/regcap-3jul2000-2.htm

The item doesn't say how many employees QR has. Does anyone know how
many?

NZ Railways had 25,000 employees in 1984 but most of it was
featherbedding. NZR made huge losses and in all its history had never
turned a profit. All but about 4500 staff were made redundant by 1990.
The railways here now make a profit, have lower charges and carry more
freight than in 1984. They were privatised in 1993. They are in
unrestricted competition with road transport.

I'd like to see some comparable figures.  NZ has 3.8 million people
which is more than the population of Queensland, so that needs to be
taken into account.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand