Re: Sleeping Car (heating)

At times at SM Sydney platform staff such as myself were "Shanghai'd" into
working as Conductors on night Express and Mail's when staff shortages would
have delayed the service.

I myself have worked The Southern Aurora, South Mail, Western Mail, North
Mail, North Coast Mail, Gold Coast Motorail, Brisbane Limited, North Parcels
Express and the big one The Indian Pacific.

My memories of working The Western Mail are of very hot November -December
evenings making berths up in MAL Sleepers and feeling pity for the poor
passengers as there was not a breath of fresh air to be had in those teak
paneled sweat boxes. The regulations directed that we would make up the
berths with 2 sheets, one blanket and a bed cover ! An with an extra blanket
was to be made available for those requesting it.

The only thing worse than a MAL was the BAM/ACM's used on the North Mail.
After arrival at Moree the train would be re-marshalled and then would be
placed back at the platform to sit in the sun all day until the evening
departure.
Try making 22 berths in 50 degree heat in a fake timber paneled sauna bath !

Ahh those were the days my friends ...

--
Marc Hunt
nospam-march@pip.com.au