Re: VFT Sydney - Canberra

In article <_wv75.238$W7.4971@news4.giganews.com>,
  "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> <signal_spotter@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> 8jkpan$h6$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8jkpan$h6$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>
> > Personally speaking, the feasability of a High Speed Rail from
Sydney
> > to Canberra/Melbourne is a waste of tax payers money. We do not have
> > the population to warrant such a system. And I'm not speaking out
of my
> > arse here because I do have a vested interest if a high speed rail
> > system goes ahead. I've read a report about such a system proposed
for
> > the New York to Washington DC line and even they worked out that it
> > would not pay it's way. Now we're talking about a population the
size
> > of Australia between those cities so our proposed passenger numbers
is
> > far smaller. And we now have more air competition on that route
which
> > is driving prices down ie Impulse $139 One Way.
>
> So we have the population to create enough demand for air travel that
> second airport is required for Sydney, an airport which will take a
huge
> amount of taxpayer funding, but we don't have the population to build
> railway that will eliminate the need for that airport for the
foreseeable
> future and will use mainly private funding but with some government
funding?
> Weird way of looking at it.
>
> Dave

Yeah but the airport will service people travelling to more places than
just Canberra/Melbourne. To compete with air travel you would need to
build a high speed rail to every place that planes go to. Now work out
your costing based on that and you'll see which is cheaper. Now don't
get me wrong, I'm not a proponent of air travel, in fact I'd probably
pick up work if the high speed rail went ahead, but it's a waste of
money when there is not the passenger numbers to warrant it. The high
speed rail is just a political white elephant.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.