Re: VFT Sydney - Canberra

In article <395873A6.1F287199@enet21.com.au>,
  chris <chris@enet21.com.au> wrote:
> oh, I forgot, the opposition group is the dark horse, they could and
probably will
> jump back in at a moments notice as they have NSW govt approval. That
would really
> piss the speedrail group off.
>
> Chris
>
> chris wrote:
>
> > The leaks comming from leighton HQ is that the French President
might visit Oz
> > around Olympic time if no decision is made.
> >
> > Derick Wuen wrote:
> >
> > > Seems like they still want Federal Funds, according to radio
report of
> > > speech by Leighton's (major Speedrail backer) CEO last week.
> > >
> > > John Fahey, Minister of Finance said Speedrail is Go so long as
it doesn't
> > > cost revenue to the Feds.
> > >
> > > How do we reconcile these statements?
> > >
> > > Who, precisely, is going to kick in 5 bill for this project,
desirable as it
> > > is?

Sydney  - Canberra

Personally speaking, the feasability of a High Speed Rail from Sydney
to Canberra/Melbourne is a waste of tax payers money. We do not have
the population to warrant such a system. And I'm not speaking out of my
arse here because I do have a vested interest if a high speed rail
system goes ahead. I've read a report about such a system proposed for
the New York to Washington DC line and even they worked out that it
would not pay it's way. Now we're talking about a population the size
of Australia between those cities so our proposed passenger numbers is
far smaller. And we now have more air competition on that route which
is driving prices down ie Impulse $139 One Way.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.