Re: VFT Sydney - Canberra

> Personally speaking, the feasability of a High Speed Rail from Sydney
> to Canberra/Melbourne is a waste of tax payers money. We do not have
> the population to warrant such a system. And I'm not speaking out of my
> arse here because I do have a vested interest if a high speed rail
> system goes ahead. I've read a report about such a system proposed for
> the New York to Washington DC line and even they worked out that it
> would not pay it's way. Now we're talking about a population the size
> of Australia between those cities so our proposed passenger numbers is
> far smaller. And we now have more air competition on that route which
> is driving prices down ie Impulse $139 One Way.
>
> regards Ian
> Signal Design Engineer
Actaully, 22 years ago when SNCF about to construct Paris-Lyon LGV-SudEst
line, there were a lot of people reckons TGV project is a waste of $ and
France does not have enough population to warrent TGV's existence.... also
40 years ago when Tokyo to Osaka Shikansen about to start construction, lots
of people protest that the idea would never work...........

you can judge yourself.

Cheers
James