Re: VFT Sydney - Canberra

In article <Dlx75.6$e_3.370261@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: VFT Sydney - Canberra
>Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 01:58:59 GMT

>Dave Proctor (daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au) wrote:
>> "chris" <chris@enet21.com.au> wrote in message
>> > I think the VFT backers wanted at least 3 billion in tax concessions plus
>> > some sort of land deal. But the federal govt won't cough up.

>> Tax concessions, as opposed to contributions. There is a difference.

>> It is the same as me giving you $100 and wanting $50 back, or giving you
>> nothing, and you choosing to be given nothing because you don't want to give
>> me $50 back. You are still $50 worse off.

>In this case, it's like asking the government for $100 and giving $700
>back over the next 30 years. The problem is that politicians can't see
>beyond the next election.

>On the subject of land deals, think about the amount of land required for
>Badgery's Creek which would be paid for in full by the taxpayer. It would
>not be a tax concession, it would be an outright purchase. If you cut that
>land up into 15m wide strips and set them out end to end, you'd end up
>with 500km of high speed railway.

>Cheers
>David

The last estimate I saw of the price for Badgerys Creek was around the $7.5 B
and still rising.
Of more interest is why hasnt the Federal Govt asked the private sector to
build Badgerys Creek as a BOOT project ,in the same way as they seem to expect
 AP to Darwin  to be built.

Just maybe no takers???

Davids estimate of the land requirement above is an interesting one.
I did a similar calculation based on the land area occupied by Tullamarine
Airport in Melb and its greater than the land corridor needed for the original
Sydney - Melb VFT.

Australia also seems to have a gross oversupply of International Airports for
the population base of the country.
We have at last count, Sydney,Melb,Brisbane,Darwin,Perth,Cairns,Coolangatta
and Port Hedland. (and Canberra if the local pollies can swing it.)
How many international airports has for example the UK got ?

MD