Re: Signalling Questions in Brisbane?

"MattyQ" <mattyq1009@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>pdwyer <pdwyerNOpdSPAM@ecn.net.au.invalid> wrote in message
>00553798.9c7bb905@usw-ex0105-035.remarq.com">news:00553798.9c7bb905@usw-ex0105-035.remarq.com...
>
>> >What was it going to mean?
>>
>> It was to be for repeat signals, as part of QR's SPAD
reduction
>> policy. It would've set repeat signals apart from running
>> signals  by colour alone, purple over white. Seeing as I
>> couldn't find a purple enough aspect (the original idea was
>> spawned from the PTC's purple aspect) the idea quietly
subsided.

>Also, the problem with purple is it's inherently suppressed
luminosity. In
>other words, less approach visibility than yellow. Also, a
single white
>tends to blend into the countryside, especially at night. QR is
now
>trialling "banner" repeat signals. Initial feedback from
drivers to date has
>been acceptable, with the exception of the size. QR is now
looking at larger
>versions of the banner signal to be placed on subsequent trail.
To view
>these banner signals, go to
>http://www.egroups.com/files/qrhistory/Banner+Signals/

Nice pics :) I think the LED Signals are being treate as the new
messiah's with regards to sighting, longevity, etc.

I don't like white aspects, for precisely the reasons you've
outlined. However, we've tested some shunt aspects that are a
hell of a lot brighter than those elements in your pics. Was
that Westinghouse or Alstom?

>One of my suggestions was to use German "Vorsignale" style
signal heads.

<snip>

>It was agreed that this system looked very favourable. A signal
indication
>that was distinctly different to running signal indications,
more info on
>the next signal and higher luminosity (I.E. approach
visibility) by
>retaining
>the yellow and green colours. However, it was seen that every
repeat signal
>would have to be replaced with an entirely new style of signal.
Result - too
>expensive, can't do.Such is life. The search goes on.

Indeed, the only way to justify such an expense would be to
prove that it would save lives. Once The first LED aspects
started appearing, we were asked to price a conversion for the
whole BSA. Fortunately, we havn't had fatalities due to signal
sighting problems, so it was put up against the maintenance
savings. So, no conversion ;)

Seeya!

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com