Re: Pendennis Castle

----------
In article <388FF08B.29482BC9@ozemail.com.au>, James Brook
<ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

 As for the A4s in North America, they should be sent back as
>well, but just because they
>won't do it, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't.

But James, this is the kind of woolly logic applied by the National trust to
the W class trams, let's preserve them, lets preserve them all.......in a
shed.......where no-one can see them.  Me, I figure that we selectively sell
them off around Australia and the world, tramways are crying out for W2's,
no mistaking they are a sought after item. The National trust figures to
preseve them all in their native home where quite frankly, most people have
seen them and ridden them before and don't need to be reminded. If we send
out our W2's around the world, they're a kind of roving ambassador for
Australia, especially Melbourne, a bit like Barry Humpheries.

So why can't the same logic be applied to the A4, it's a representative of
what is great about British steam. To see it running on Australian mainline
metals would be great. I'm not saying it is the right thing to do, but it's
worth thinking about.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne