Re: SLR - Extensions work progressing

Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> writes:

>Thanks very much for posting all the pics of SLR construction work.  Its much
>appreciated by those who are not so close to the area.

>A question.  I'm not that familiar with the area, but am I correct in assuming
>that the line will terminate at Catherine St Lilyfield not so much because its a
>major destination, but rather that's as far as the unused railway goes, and that
>beyond that the line is still used by freight trains to Rozelle?  If so, what
>are the consequences of the proposed further SLR extension to Ashfield?  Might
>it mean closure of the remaining freight line - or would it go on-road?

There is still a fair amount of regular freight train activity on the line
to Rozelle yard.

Apart from the fill trains that load at Rozelle and head to St Marys (where
the new FreightCorpse 'Sydney West' freight terminal is being built, and, as
it happens, right across the line from the new Smorgon factory), there's
still fairly regular container train traffic to/from White Bay container
terminal, and of course the grain trains to/from Mungo Scott's (aka Goodman
Fielder) mill at Lewisham.

Not sure what else - any current Enfield drivers reading these newsgroups?

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport