Re: SLR - Extensions work progressing

In article <388A896A.41EB0470@enternet.com.au>,
Chris Brownbill  <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:
>Matthew,
>
>Thanks very much for posting all the pics of SLR construction work.  Its much
>appreciated by those who are not so close to the area.
>
>A question.  I'm not that familiar with the area, but am I correct in assuming
>that the line will terminate at Catherine St Lilyfield not so much because its a
>major destination, but rather that's as far as the unused railway goes,

 Pretty well. The rest is still open. The line to Darling Harbour is closed.

>and that
>beyond that the line is still used by freight trains to Rozelle?  If so, what
>are the consequences of the proposed further SLR extension to Ashfield?  Might
>it mean closure of the remaining freight line - or would it go on-road?

 Rozelle is pretty well abandoned now. I dont think there is much traffic into oour out of the place now, and what there is might be accomidated by a
mixed traffic line. Freight Corp doesn't use electrics on trip trains, so the
area could be rewired for 750v.

 I am under the impression that the Ashfield plan runs down the goods line
to near Lewisham and then turns onto the road parallel to the railway line.