Re: [VIC] H220 (was: Surviving R classes)

Stuart Thyer wrote:

> This has probably been the greatest failing of the museums acquisition
> policy in the 1960's. The policy of collecting the 'one offs' and different
> engines has meant there are some real lemons now in the museum. R 704 with
> its knackered boiler collected because it was the exhibition R, X 36 the
> only non-booster fitted X class. N 432, the last N built, one of only 5?
> with the different deflectors so somewhat 'non standard' as well as having
> stuffed driving wheel tyres.

I agree that the ARHS museum should have collected more standard examples of
the various classes. R704 and N432 should have been put in storage for a
possible return to service in the future, not placed in the museum. But we
can't go back and change the past, so we shouldn't modify what has been
preserved simply because it wasn't really the ideal loco for the museum.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au