Re: [VIC] H220 (was: Surviving R classes)

Stuart Thyer wrote:

> Actually David read my earlier post. None of the modifications made to R 761
> 'had' to be made, they made the operation of the engine in the modern world
> more versatile but were never foisted on Steamrail by the PTC. 761 still has
> original seats and no rear vision mirrors as the union does not require them
> fitted to heritage engines, only engines operated by commercial entities,
> which is why 711 & 766 have modern seats, they were both returned to service
> by commercial operators.

But the extended bunker is really a neccesity on today's railways. Without it there
would be more stops required for refuelling, this would mean that tours would take
longer, this would increase the problems of finding a path, and so on... It's no point
running a steam locomotive if it isn't financially viable, so any locomotive returned
to service needs these sort of modifications.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au