Re: [VIC] H220 (was: Surviving R classes)

----------
In article <udth4.23$0T.387439@news0.optus.net.au>,
dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:

>James Brook (ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
>> Stuart Thyer wrote:
>
>> > Not really, the only modification to R 761 is rear sanders, extended coal
>> > bunker, a wee little pipe on the tender for attaching fire hoses and ummmm
>> > ahhh the headboard!!
>
>> The headboard is what I have the biggest objection to. H220 is one of a
>kind, there
>> should be no modifications to this historic loco at all.
>
>All locos are historic, but modifications would have to be made during
>restoration or the loco simply wouldn't be allowed to run.

Actually David read my earlier post. None of the modifications made to R 761
'had' to be made, they made the operation of the engine in the modern world
more versatile but were never foisted on Steamrail by the PTC. 761 still has
original seats and no rear vision mirrors as the union does not require them
fitted to heritage engines, only engines operated by commercial entities,
which is why 711 & 766 have modern seats, they were both returned to service
by commercial operators.

BTW David, when is Steamrail going to get a listing on railpage??

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne