Re: Indian Pacific + Ghan

In article <01bf57f6$e758efc0$df7e37d2@pentium>,
  "David" <valley123@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Has there ever been a time where due to floods or other causes where
the
> Indian Pacific and the Ghan have been combined in to one train?
not sure about that, generally they operates on different days and the
route they interfer aren't very long until recently extension of Ghan
to Sydney. But there are extra long platform available at old Port
Pirie station and Kalgoorlie in case this ever happens. I think there
were couple of times (now withdrawed) "Trans Australian" and "Indian
Pacific" combined together during flood blocked Trans-australian railway

>I was just
> wondering and if so how long would that be?

According to GSR's "platform " magazine, if they(Ghan and Indian
Pacific) combined together, it would be 36 carriages in total(inculded
motorail , power van staff car and brake van).

> I would also like to know how many carriages G.S.R has available to
run
> their services

about 130 carriages

 and has anyone on the newsgroup hired out their own carriage
> from G.S.R?
I haven't, but they usually store on the platform one siding of
Adelaide Keswick Street  station

> Kind regards
> David

James