Re: Train on Sydney Harbour Bridge during fireworks

>In the case of trains running over the Harbour Bridge, passengers were
>conveyed between North Sydney and Central during the ''shutdown" period,
>they just couldn't board or alight at the city underground stations.

This may be picky, but I don't think CityRail trains did convey passengers
over the Harbour Bridge at 00:00 on 1 Jan.

Southbound, my observations around 00:50 were that passengers were detrained
at North Sydney and invited to catch a (by then non-existent) bus to the
City.

Northbound, the story (still) at http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/Media was
that

"Passengers using trains during the Y2K roll over period (11:45pm to 1:15am)
will be asked to end their journeys at Central and North Sydney stations.
Trains will run empty through the City Circle back to Central Station or
across the Sydney Harbour Bridge before resuming outbound passenger
services.
"Trains for the North Shore will not pick-up passengers from Central, but
run empty to Milsons Point where passengers will be able to rejoin outbound
services.
"People wanting to access North Shore Line stations can travel via
Strathfield and Epping to Hornsby where they can access trains for the North
Shore."

>there would have been the
>danger that all trains restarting at the same time could have been more
than
>the power supply could handle.

That's a Y2K power failure scenario I hadn't heard before!  Is it the last
one for this ng?

Rgds

Bill