Re: Train on Sydney Harbour Bridge during fireworks

pm <pmelling@orac.net.au> wrote in message
HW_c4.61$Hh3.663421@news0.optus.net.au">news:HW_c4.61$Hh3.663421@news0.optus.net.au...
> Apologies if this has been discussed but I have been on hols.
>
> Did I see an eight car set move onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge during the
NY
> fireworks?
>
> Was it being re-positioned, or did it just happen to stop there for a few
> minutes.  If so, who was on board......?
>
> Paul

Paul

This has been discussed - the trains kept running although the CBD
underground stations were closed between 11.45 pm and just after 1.00 am.
In the case of trains running over the Harbour Bridge, passengers were
conveyed between North Sydney and Central during the ''shutdown" period,
they just couldn't board or alight at the city underground stations.

To stop the trains running altogether would have been a major logistical
exercise beyond the capacity of CityRail, and there would have been the
danger that all trains restarting at the same time could have been more than
the power supply could handle.

Regards

David Bennetts
Canberra