Re: No Y2k Bug

It was Tue, 04 Jan 2000 18:08:33 +1300, and chris 'fufas' grace
<chris@transdata.co.nz> wrote in misc.transport.urban-transit:
| 1. A large number of computers, for your information, don't run Windows.

But a number of trains run on Windows NT.

| 2. There were known problems with some versions of the Mac OS, Some
| versions of SunOS, AIX, and some mainframe OSs. One of my machines
| here runs Linux (patched in October) and the newsreader is having date
| problems.

Sounds like a personal problem.  Did it stop trains from running.

| 3. Some locations in the USA did lose power.

Happens every day.  Usually due to the inebriated or careless driver
or the animal that got a little to warm on a transformer.  Although
one US power company reported a failed computer, it did not disrupt
service to their customers.  The companies that lost service were not
due to y2k.

| 4. Parts of Africa are in the shit as we speak.

And where were they on 12/30/99?  Not exactly high tech wonderlands.

| The fact that it didn't affect you doesn't mean it wasn't there
| and a lot of people worked very hard to avoid problems. I know I
| did, but since my problems were covered by warranty I for one
| didn't make any money out of it.

A shame.  You could have bought more rail paraphanalia or tickets.

JL