Re: No Y2k Bug

David McLoughlin (davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz) wrote:
: Daniel Bowen wrote:
:
: > The fact that virtually nothing has happened actually goes to show that most
: > of the governments and companies involved did take the time and spend the
: > money to fix it.

: I am not saying that systems did not need checking and in some cases
: updating, especially older ones. What I am going on about is the media
: hype which claimed power, phones, the Internet, water supplies, ATMs,
: aircraft, hospitals and all kinds of other places, machines and
: infrastructure were going to fail at midnight, causing international
: chaos and Armageddon for good measure due to the launch of Russia's
: ICBMs.

Anybody with half a brain knew that the doomsayers would be wrong.
Naturally I had a battery powered radio and a torch ready at midnight. At
worst, I was expecting that the power might go off for as long as it took
the supplier (in my case ACTEW) to reboot their computers and run a
diagnostic, or kick in manual control. Maybe half an hour or so without
power.

But then I've had the power and phone cut off for longer than that during
thunderstorms.

Cheers
David