Re: No Y2k Bug

David McLoughlin <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
386c981c@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:386c981c@news.iprolink.co.nz...
> Just again to let you know from Auckland, the first city where the
> computers rolled over, that NOTHING happened. The Y2K Bug is the hoax I
> have long claimed.
>
> My own four-year-old Windows 95 computer rolled over perfectly at
> midnight to January 1 2000 without a hitch. And the lights stayed on all

Have to disagree David - it was no hoax. I've recently worked in a company
which, had they not done anything to fix their software, would have resulted
in hundreds of Australian service stations being unable to sell petrol post
31/12/99. (Well, at least, they wouldn't have been able to get money for
selling petrol!) If you knock enough petrol stations out of business,
presto, you have a Y2K crisis, a fuel shortage - or a petrol company
effectively out of business!

The fact that virtually nothing has happened actually goes to show that most
of the governments and companies involved did take the time and spend the
money to fix it. If you want to see one of the few examples of where it
wasn't fixed, check out the reports from Ghana!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_587000/587798.stm

And (getting back on the transit topic) - public transport users in Hobart
and Adelaide must be shattered that their bus ticket validation machines
stopped working!

Happy new year! And for any survivalists out there - enjoy your baked beans!

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen at custard dot net dot au