Re: [VIC] Stack Talk December 1999

Subject: Re: [VIC] Stack Talk December 1999

> I only speak for myself here, but I am getting sick and tired of all this
> serious crap (no offence intended to those expressing their opinion) just
> bring on the trains :)  'Leave the managing to the managers, and the
> consuming to the consumers'.

I asume that you have not read the article as you have missed the main point
of the article! You really should listen to Jame Brooks.

You are obviously an enthusiast and like everyone else I know you would not
like to see the historical rail operations disapear from the mainline and
from many tourist railways within Victoria. However, unless some of the
armchair railfan critics and the photo taking enthusiasts start occasionally
offering their voluntary services to help one of a number of these
organisations it is more likely than not that much of what you see now will
soon disappear.

> Just bring on the trains

The people organising these tours are getting old or simplty tire of it.
Without repalcement personnel (new blood) for the future there will be no
trains.......

Remain a consumer if you wish but if the product disappears, don't complain
as you were given the opportunity to stop that from happening.

I stated in the article that I wrote in the December 1999 issue of Stack
Talk that: "A good team of professionally minded people is required to steer
the organisation" and unfortunatley too many groups are suffering from
Gunzels standing for these positions trying to preserve the "good old days"
and this is no longer totally practical - due to the vast costs involved to
maintain that position. A satisfactory compromise to preservation and modern
operation need to be made.

As for the survival of Steamrail Victoria it can't be as a tourist railway -
there are too many already and its operation (e.g. Healseville is too
restrictive costly and totally impractical)! VGR (CMR) are a good example of
a well established organisation with a set of well defined preservation
goals that allows them to adjust with the times and have developed a
comprehensive plan for its future survival. How many other organisations can
say they have done the same? Even with an organisation so well set up as
this one can it survive into the future? I certainly hope so but the people
needed to be there for it is the main way to ensure it does.

I hope this is further food for thought.

From: Keith Findlay <Timepieces@ozemail.com.au>