[VIC] Stack Talk December 1999

Stephen Hurst wrote:

> I only speak for myself here, but I am getting sick and tired of all this
> serious crap (no offence intended to those expressing their opinion) just
> bring on the trains :)  'Leave the managing to the managers, and the
> consuming to the consumers'.

A disappointing attitude Stephen - obviously you haven't read the article as
you have completely missed the whole point. Remain just a consumer if you
wish but when the steam does start to disappear then you can't blame the few
who are left (putting up with increasing levels of time required to keeping
preservation afloat) when we finally run out of people to continue our
efforts!

Too few people, with many who are becoming senior citizens, cannot continue
with the current workload if all or many organizations will remain in
existence. New blood is needed and the armchair critics and photogenic
gunzels need to start helping or their hobby will disappear before  their
eyes.

Sounds pessimistic? Maybe so but this is a fact of what is most likely to
happen if new volunteers don't come forward.

Victoria is not a tourist railway operator and there are already too many
tourist lines in Victoria. It doesn't stop us from working closely with
other Tourist Railway operators but there simply isn't enough room for all
the present organizations let alone a new tourist line operator! The
"Lineman" comments are pretty accurate and are worthy of a read (Note -
nothing to worry about SG in the remainder of Victoria).

regards

Keith Findlay