Re: No Y2k Bug

It was Sat, 01 Jan 2000 23:05:46 +1100, and Richard
<richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote in misc.transport.urban-transit:
| I see no reason to omit this work from my resume. That you choose to
| believe it was all hype is your choice. Yes the media did beat it up...
| but thenthey cant count can they...neither can you it seems.

Sure I can.  I can also send a properly formatted usenet post.
In the year of Our Lord 2000.  A bit of a misnomer since Jesus
was born in or before 4 BC.  If one is going to count based on
a birth, one must start with the right year!  We have been
miscounting years for years.  You are outnumbered, 2000 to 1.

| I was happy enough to do Y2K work because ther WAS a problem...
| and people like me did the work...maybe yourself as well??

Only a fool would not at least look at the problem.  Software
problems hit and were solved (with real live data) already.
Hardware problems were hard tested last night.

| Its amazing how many problems are occurring that arent seemingly
| anything to do with Y2K...thats because people dont understand
| its real nature.  I dont blame everyhting on Y2K...where did I
| write that.

By claiming that 1000's of niggly problems remain.  Niggly bugs
are what software is all about.  Just undocumented features.  :)

| Easy to hide behide anonymity... to have a dig from behind a cover!!

It does not matter WHO I am as long as I speak with clarity.

| Yes most Y2K probelms are software related....only on computers...
| PLCs are completely different in nature....The whole gamut of
| rollovers are not complete. Technology in its imperfected state
| keeps IT people employed..we fix the poor designs!!

Some say that you design so that you will always have work.

| Computers precious?? They're nothing but tools.. machines

Tools that provide wages to feed, shelter, and provide toys for you.

| Yes much testing has been done...and a lot wasnt..especially small
| to very small companies...and 90% of business in this country is
| SMALL business.

Small businesses who are gullible enough to attend Y2K seminars, and
replace instead of checking equipment.  Or small enough that IF the
computers don't work they are still in business.

| Your attitude is not new to me...came accross it often..it your
| priveledge to dissent...thats fine...but if you think its all over
| red rover...well well agree to disagree.

I don't believe it is all over.  Just that the worst has passed and
the sayers of doom deserve a rasberry from the normal folks.  The
worst Y2K related damage/failures we suffered were from prep for Y2K,
not from the actual "bug".

| I wasnt pessimistic about the whole thing..I was actually very
| positive. There are many systems around where simulations only
| (testing) were possible as they interacted with other online
| live systems.

Software works with advance dates.  Very few programs would have
reached 2000 without needing to calculate or store a Y2K date.
Live data, on networks, real world testing.

| Sounds like you think its all bullshit and black science...mate
| I work in reality...

Then you also have trouble reading usenet as well as writing it.
I work in reality.  For the past two years I have been watching
the Y2K furvor grow.  I looked around my small business and did
a few minor checks.  Mission critical software was checked with
their providers.  I've watched people buy generators and stock
up on food and water.  But I didn't believe the sayers of doom,
so my humble abode is stocked as usual.  Reality and correct.

The BS of both kinds came from those who wished everything had
died on the spot 23 hours ago.  Just to prove that there was a
bug.  Actually a problem in Australia would have had an effect
on the rest of the world.  Panic buying would have set in.

| hope you had a good time working at that time :-)

I did.  But I came home at 2:30a.  I had non-computer duties
that kept me at work after the moment.

JL
01-01-00 GMT