Re: Sydney Airport Link

Barry Campbell wrote in message ...

>Dave Proctor wrote in message <84kl8s$94o$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>
><snip>
>>But while we are going down that path, why not compare QR with
Countrylink?
>>In comparison, Countrylink is pathetic, but they are both "subsidised
>>organisation(s) which exist(s) to promote government policy....." - why is
>>one so much better than the other?
>

>The answer lies in the policies they are designed to promote. QR's long
>distance trains are an integral part of the state's tourist promotions.
>Countrylink is designed to continue the provision of cheap fares to various
>(growing) sections of the voting public. Most Countrylink trains do not
>travel very far.

Which is why the comparison between GSR and QR is valid. GSR is still
subsidised by the government, btw, via pensioner fare reimbursements. I also
believe there is a CSO component too, although I am open to correction on
that.

With regard to the facilities which are on offer on the various trains, one
would have thought that, as a "dynamic, privately operatoed company,
responsive to the needs of the market place" that GSR would have somehwta
better on board facilities anyway, wouldn't one?

Dave