Re: Sydney Airport Link

David Johnson wrote in message <386DBF92.4C640BD7@ozemail.com.au>...
>Dave Proctor wrote:

>> I had someone next to me from Perth all the way to Sydney and they did
not
>> have one single shower.
>>
>> I also resent the fatc that AN (and GSR are following in their footsteps)
>> are reducing the standard of caoch class. I think it is unreasonable to
>> expect people to stay in their seat for that length of journey. I think
some
>> sort of club/lounge car is in order, considering the length of the
journey.

>Compare to forward thinking QR, where even steerage passengers can still
use the
>Club car and dining car.  Then compare to CountryLink who don't even have a
club
>car (or dining car).

I think that GSR and QR are good comparisons, since we are talking about
fairly lengthy journeys. I agree that QR is much better as far as their
passenger amenities go, at least as far as "steerage" goes, although I have
not travelled on their sleepers recently, so I cannot comment. I do prefer
the GSR Holiday Class sleepers though, compared with the QR economy
sleepers. GSR are two berth (admittedly in much less space) compared with
the QR three berth. GSR also provide linen.

Comparing them to Countrylink is a bit like comparing apples with oranges
though. Whilst I think that Countrylink could (and should) definitely
improve their catering, and should even go as far as converting the XBR into
full sit down dining cars, you really cannot compare the facilities on a
train meant to provide 4 to 5 hour trips (even if they *ARE* used for trips
much longer) with a train providing a 67 hour journey.

Dave