Re: Sydney Airport Link

Barry Campbell wrote in message ...

>Dave Proctor wrote in message <84kihh$782$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>>
>>I think that GSR and QR are good comparisons, since we are talking about
>>fairly lengthy journeys.
>
><snip>
>
>No - GSR and QR are not good comparisons. GSR is a commercial operation
>which, quite naturally, exists to make profits. QR (at least as far as long
>distance passenger trains go) is a subsidised organisation which exists to
>promote government policy which appears to be to provide a tourist drawcard
>and get the government of the day re-elected.

I was talking about journey lengths and types, not the commercial and
political priorities of the two organisations. Your argument would apply to
comparisons between GSR and Countrylink as well.

But while we are going down that path, why not compare QR with Countrylink?
In comparison, Countrylink is pathetic, but they are both "subsidised
organisation(s) which exist(s) to promote government policy....." - why is
one so much better than the other?

Dave