Re: N class (was H220 was surviving R class etc)

Stuart Thyer wrote:

> There's one in the ARHS museum in Williamstown Vic and one at the Port Dock
> museum in SA. They are the only 2 left.

As there are only two left, I don't want to see any of these returned to
service. It is important to keep these two locos in their original condition as
an example of the VR N and the SAR version (I have forgotten what number they
gave them). I would like to see another N running, but I think a replica would
be the best choice if the resources were available. This would mean we could
see an N in original condition as well as an operating N. A replica could be
built to the original specifications but modern enhancements that don't modify
the look or the performance of the locomotive could be added to make the
locomotive more economical to maintain and operate. As there are several N
class boilers in good condition, the boiler wouldn't have to be made. Also,
aren't some of the componets compatible with the K class? There are plenty of K
class locos rusting around the state. If the resources for this ever became
available, it could be an interesting possibility.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au