Re: EL class update ( was freight victoria update)

In article <88bk70$osf$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "Freight_man" <freight_man@hotmail.com> writes:
>From: "Freight_man" <freight_man@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: EL class update ( was freight victoria update)
>Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:26:18 +1100

>V/Line possibly have at least one 3000hp Prime Mover ex G518, How would that
>fit in C503 at Junee? But the point is moot.....National Rail are not in the
>business of helping competitors.
>Since pre-empting Marinus [sorry Boss!] and announcing a profit for the
>Company, I received a very interesting E mail from NSW........It seems that
>WA Gov will announce the contenders for the purchase of WAGR soon. If the
>Company I hear is convinced it will win, does win..................
>CEO of Freight Rail announced that his Company will now concentrate on
>Interstate workings as far West as Perth and all points in between. Although
>V/Line and WAGR as well as QR have all committed to running trains in
>competition with National Rail, he does not expect more than two Companies
>to Survive as Interstate Operators, 5 years! He states that Freight Rail
>will be one of them, and he does not necessarily believe National Rail to be
>the other. [ I draw from this that the 'winner' of WAGR will have a big
>advantage here]
>I hear that Wiscon Central will probably not compete for WAGR, and Rail
>America with its vastly expanded resources after successfully taking over
>Railtek is almost certain to purchase WAGR.
>This would be great for both Companies, particularly if Gary Marino
>continues his policy of letting Australian Management get on with it.
>National Rail would end up being divided amongst the two surviving
>operators.
>This would better utilise Locomotives and solve both companies Power
>Shortages.

>WARNING!! I have not heard any of this at work, nor would I expect to.
>Please treat this post as
>information third hand, and only of interest to compare to what really
>happens in a few months or years time.................
>Rod
>ps I hear that V/Line Pass will start receiving their railcars within 3
>years and Freight Victoria has/is negotiating to purchase the N Class.

>--
>http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/
>Foundation President and Co-Founder
>Hobsons Bay Model Railway Club Inc.
>Operators of Australia's only 'Australian' Model Railway Show
>Every Easter in Melbourne.
>and my page
>http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/rods

Roda above analysis is a pretty good guess as to what the final outcome will
be.
One critical issue will be how the sale of NRC is managed and whether NRCs
debts are paid out prior to the sale (like was done with AN) or whether the
new buyer has to take on the debts,in which case there wont be many takers.
As I beleive the feds will sell NRC no matter what , ie even if there arnt
many decent bids ,then its possible that a new buyer could get it for a song.
NRCs major selling feature is that it owns terminals in Melb ,Sydney a
Adelaide
.I dont know the status of Acacia Ridge or Kewdale but would suspect
that both are still owned by the respective Govts and therefore wont be
included in the sale.
Two players in the interstate rail market is a good estimate,given the limited
size of rails share of the land transport market and the unlikely of it
improving due to the unlevel playing field.

MD