Re: Train driver positions????????

dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:

>chris@enet21.com.au (chris@enet21.com.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
>> I heard this story in the office the other day..
>> Apparently somebody in NSW (Cityrail?????)  is prepared to employ
>> suitable people off the streets,
>> train them for 6 weeks and then get them to drive trains for $1000 a
>> week. Is this bull?

>Only 6 weeks of training? No thanks! I'll stay away from CityRail if
>that's the case.

>There was some talk about guards being offered the front seat. Any more
>news on this?

Not only were CityRail guards being offered the chance to become driver,
they were being actively hounded to sign up. A number of fairly new (like
less than a year on the job) have told me about how they've been almost
harrassed to sign up to become drivers, and almost all of these people told
me that they point-blank refused.

I think it's disgusting that there should be any conduct of this type being
exhibited by management representatives (be they inspectors or otherwise).

I'm sure some of the recently-joined guards would make excellent drivers
because of the way they have taken to the guards job very well, but the lack
of experience means that regardless of how well they do their current job,
they'd be very disadvantaged in the experience department when pushed out of
the minimal training scheme (which has apparently been changed yet again
since the spate of recent accidents) as drivers.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport