Re: Glenbrook Inquiry

"Notagunzel" <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> writes:

>2 versions of Tuesday's proceedings can be found at:
>http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/nsw/metnsw-15feb2000-15.htm
>&
>http://www.smh.com.au/breaking/0002/15/A20233-2000Feb15.shtml

>Could someone familiar with the locality fill me in on the history, there
>was a Box at Glenbrook, right?  Was it still Automatic Signalling in each
>direction?  (I can never remember the proper NSW safeworking system name).

Before the major rationalisation on the Mountains line about 8 years ago
Glenbrook still retained it's fully-operative signal frame, etc. (the TV
stations ran footage of the old indicator panel in the news last night) but
this was removed when all of the mountain line was remodelled. Glenbrook
lost its status as a full interlocking and now just has emergency crossovers
operated from a small brick hut on the Lithgow end of the platform. This was
done before I left FreightRail for CityRail in late 1994...

It's rather silly to say that if the old system was still there, the
accident wouldn't have happened because the old signalling was removed
*long* before the accident. It's not like it was done only a few months
prior to the accident occuring.

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport