Re: Announcements - I remember when... (was [NSW] Indicator Board - Wrong Destination)

On 15 Feb 2000 16:10:55 +1000, stephen@turboweb.splat.spam.net.au
(stephen) wrote:

>Around 25 years ago the following happened to me at Circular Quay
>station in Sydney.

<Thence a description of mind-changing>

This sort of thing still happens.  I often come in to Central by bus
and catch an Inner Circle train at Plat20/21 for C.Quay.

Mostly trains for the Circle depart #20 instead of #21.

But on one occasioin, about 6 months ago, when I arrived there were
trains in both, with passengers in the train at #20.

The following ensued:

"The next train to the Circle departs Palform 21"  Passengers
transfer.

"Attention.  The next train to the circle departs Platform 20"
Passengers swarm back.

"Attention.  The next train to the circle departs Platform 21"  Back
they go again.

Finally

"Attention.  The next train to the Circle really WILL depart from
Platform 20.  Sorry for the confusion"  Passengers swarm again, jaws
close, train on Platform 21 departs.  Train with passengers on
Platform 20 waits for signals, then departs.

True.

GL