Announcements - I remember when... (was [NSW] Indicator Board - Wrong Destination)

Around 25 years ago the following happened to me at Circular Quay
station in Sydney.

As the train approached the announcement said, in its usual manner
"... all stations to East Hills" which was in keeping with the
indicator board.

As passengers boarded the train a further announcement was made. "The
train on platform one is NOT an East Hills train. The train on
platform one is all stations to Hurstville." This message was
repeated.

As passengers already on the train started to get off and passengers
on the platform suddenly started to board the train there was a
further announcement. "Correction. Please note, please note, the train
on platform one IS an East Hills train as originally announced. It is
NOT a Hurstville train." Again this message was repeated a couple of
times.

Then this message came over the PA. "Will the driver of the train on
platform one PLEASE change his indicator lights."

The end result was a reasonably general sense of amusement among the
passengers (and intending passengers), mainly attributable to the
manner of the announcements. Also, because the manner of the
announcements were so out of the ordinary everyone was listening, and
I would be very surprised if anyone travelled to the wrong
destination.

Regards,

Stephen