Re: Digital Cameras

In article <MPG.13120c4caac7e91198969d@news.dartmouth.edu>,
David M. Bott <david.m.bott@dartmouth.nouce.edu> wrote:
>[This followup was posted to misc.transport.rail.americas and a copy was
>sent to the cited author.]
>
>In article <glennl-0502001658240001@dial-56-032.easystreet.com>,
>glennl@easystreet.com says...
>> You
>> can't adjust the "shutter speed" on a digital camera because there isn't a
>> shutter to adjust the speed of.
>
>Although I agree with most of your post on the limits of digital cameras
>for railfanning, I will tell you that you exaggerate in a couple of
>places and here you're misleading.
>
>My Nikon Coolpix 950 has a shutter/aperture priority mode.  I can take
>night shots and timed exposures, although maybe I can't leave the shutter
>open for 30 minutes.

By happy coincidence I used one of these for some photos of plants
today. I was quite impressed with it -- not that I got to use many of
its features as it was borrowed and I didn't have time to learn all
that much about it. 8-)

Using the VGA/Fine option the JPGs averaged about 139 KB (range 124 to
157 KB) and I got 50 shots on the 8 MB card (totalled 6.9 MB when down-
loaded to DOS, so I'm not sure where the other meg went :).

Plenty of detail to see what individual plants look like (and about
equivalent to a 35 mm SLR for those awful shots of mixed "pastures". ;-)

There seems to be quite a range of resolution options, but I didn't try
any of the others.  The zoom worked well for my purposes.

Don't know what the price is -- probably expensive. :-(

Cheers,  Ian S.

ianstDELETE@THISdpi.qld.gov.au