Re: Rail travel

Mark Ray Cybertrade (therays@cybertrade.co.za) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> I would like to get you opinion on part of a change to our trip that has
> been suggested by the agent. They have said that it would an option to do a
> train trip from Melbourne to Sydney and then from Sydney to Brisbane After
> staying over in Sydney.

> Taking into account that we are not planning to settle in Sydney , would the
> train trip be of interest in seeing part of the country (especially for the
> Kids - 11 and 5). Both trips would be day trips. Would there be a number of
> towns the train passes through or would it be uninteresting countryside (no
> disrespect intended but considering we are a family on a 2 week trip with
> limited time).

> I would appreciate your opinion on this ASAP as we have to get back to the
> travel agent.

If you fly between cities you miss out on a lot of spectacular scenery. If
you really want to see Australia, you have to do it from ground level.

I'd recommend an East Coast Discovery Pass which allows one way travel
between nominated cities (e.g. Melbourne to Brisbane) with unlimited
stopovers.

Cheers
David