Re: (Vic) New Metcard Yearly Ticket

In article <38A4DC18.53D9ADB2@yahoo.com>,
  Sam Eades <eadess@yahoo.com> wrote:

> B61 wrote:
>
> > In article <B4C9F519.1BD3%fshand@bigfoot.com>,
> >   Francis Shand <fshand@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> > I don't know why they changed them to a metcard cos the other pass
was
> > quicker and easier to use. I'm using last year's one until the day
it
> > expires. I've used the metcard just 3 times and it's already getting
> > tatty in my wallet.
> >
> > > I recently got my new student yearly ticket - now in the form of a
> > metcard.
> > > It was however, simply a normal paper metcard. I don't understand
how
> > it is
> > > expected to last for a whole year.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what happened to the proximity cards that were
> > supposed to
> > > exist?
>

> These tickets are not just paper, they have a layer of plastic
emebedded in
> them. If this ticket falls apart or becomes badly damadged, all you
need to
> do is take it back to where it was issued and they will replace it.
> HOWEVER, if you have intentionally mutilated/damaged the ticket (yes
we can
> tell), it will cost you the $10.70 replacement fee.

MY OLD PASS NEVER GOT DAMAGED BECAUSE IT WAS ALWAYS IN IT'S COVER. I'LL
HAVE TO TAKE MY METCARD OUT OF IT'S COVER EVERYDAY!

> The "Metcard Xpress" (proximity card) was extensively tested by
onelink,
> and found to be unreliable and too expensive. It has (AFAIK), been
> abandoned.
>
> Incidentaly, the plastic folders with your yearly tickets in them will
> cause the thermal printing on the back of your metcard to fade.There
are
> new ticket wallets coming out soon.
>
> Sam Eades

Why was there a need to get rid of the old yearly passes? They were
quicker to get on a bus, to catch a train or to get on a tram.
In the case of a bus, you have to get on in single file to validate a
metcard especially where there's only one validator on a bus (Very
Slow). With the old yearly passes all we did/do was have to flash them
at the driver (Very quick).

The old cards didn't get tatty because you never had to take them out
of their cover, whereas with the metcards you have to take them out
every time.

James (B61),
       Werribee

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/