Re: Tassie Garratt, Penn Castle & Tassie M Pacific

I expect that, without the involvement of Beyer Peacock back in 1947, K1
would almost certainly have been scrapped in Tasmania.  Certainly there is
no evidence of any rail preservation in Tasmania at that time, and precious
little in the rest of Australia.  We should that the Brits for that, without
having to worship at the altar of anglophilia.

Now if the topic was shifted to Tasmanian Pacific M3 (I think) that was
shipped to England approx. 1990, my views change somewhat.  Here is an
engine that should have remained in Australia, IMHO.  Perfect for operation
on any 3' 6" tourist line.  On the other hand, we still have at least 2 of
these sitting in parks in Tasmania, not to mention a couple of H class
engines...

Ed