Re: Tassie Garret & Penndennis Castle

On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 23:26:16 +1100, "chris@enet21.com.au"
<chris@enet21.com.au> wrote:

>The poms don't worry much about Australian heritage just look what they
>did to the Tassie garret (conversion to oil burning). And is running
>South African locos in Wales part of pommy history? It has as much
>historical significance as the Penndennis running in Australia.
>
>http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ml/whr/k1.htm
>
>Imagine the outcry  if the same thing  was done to the Pendennis
>Castle,  maybe conversion to a garret as well?

Isn't it sufficient that they have fitted an air-compressor to it as
well? And what other mods were done to enble it to work in Oz?

Perhaps a cow-catcher, auto-couplings on the front buffer-beam, smoke
deflectors, rams horn for auto-staff exchanges and a bogie tender
would make it less pommy, more ozzie? I doubt if the poms would want
it back if we did that. On the other hand, some of the locos they
pulled out of Barry were in a far worse state.

Just a thought. What if West Coast Rail buy it, modify it a la R711
complete with diesel stand, paint it in WCR livery, send it back to
the U.K. and hire it out to the poms? Could WCR resist converting it
to 5'3"?

Send it back before we bugger it up.

Les Brown

"Some fella says that 50% of people in this world have below average intelligence"
"Nah, that's not right, most of the people I know are pretty smart"
"I think you just proved his point"