Re: Some interesting info from NRCs and ARTCs annual reports.

In article <87ehfi$2h1$1@nnrp1.deja.com> james_ccj@my-deja.com writes:
>From: james_ccj@my-deja.com
>Subject: Re: Some interesting info from NRCs and ARTCs annual reports.
>Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 12:42:26 GMT

>> From what I can see, NRC are doing most things  right, they are a
>competetive
>> low cost efficient operation, but are still unable to make a profit.
>> The question is will a privatised NRC be able to do any better, I
>>doubt it.
>ATN turned a "impossible-profit-making" Tasrail into a profit making
>company within months, Freight Victoria followed that success,I'm
>optimistic with privatisation....given right
>company choosen.

>NRC offers a lot more advantage then most of the company....relatively
>new rollingstock, large and profitable area coverage, its huge BHP
>contract and possibility of attract new customers from trucks.

Yes , you could make the same comparison also with ASR , who also made a small
but acceptable profit in their first year of operation.
However, companies like ASR,Tasrail and Freight Victoria have one massive
advantage over NRC ,in that they own or lease their own track.which means that
a large part of their operation does not incur track access charges.
NRC cant run a train anywhere in this country without some other organization
agreeing to let them.
A private NRC will still have the same track access problems that the current
NRC has.

The CEO of Freightcorp recently made the statement that eventually there will
only be two interstate Rail freight companies left in Australia ,due basically
to our small population and that Freightcorp would be one of them.
I tend to agree.
Im not however convinced that NRC will be the other.

MD