Some interesting info from NRCs and ARTCs annual reports.

This info taken from Jan edition of Rail 2000 Newsletter.

1	NRC annual report 1988/89
Freight activity down by 2.9 % to 15.1 billion ntk.
Revenue down by 4% to $417 million.
Loco productivity 200 M gtk per loco PA.
Annual operating loss = $36.039 million.
For the astute readers there is something quite odd about two of the above
figures which I will let you figure out.

2	ARTC annual report.
Income from access fees $84.3 million.
Expenditures ( mainly supply of goods and services and remuneration] $52.9
million.
Ner profit $13.2 million of which the shareholder (guess who) gets $2 M.
Here is some info on the various routes.
Alice SP = 980 M GTK.
Broken Hill = 1020 M GTK
Adelaide - Kal = 13.8 B GTK
Adelaide - Mel = 7.0 B GTK
Mel - Albury = 2.4 B GTK

Others ( I presume this includes Whyalla and Adelaide Port ]
400 M GTK

One potential issue that affects both the above operators is that if / when /
who knows the AP - darwin line is built , then the existing section of
Tarcoola - AP will be handed over to the new operator.
This means that both NRC and ARTC will lose revenue from this source.

MD