Re: G7 up to 160 km/h

"Bill McNiven" <wmcniven@gunzel.ozemail.com.au> writes:

>David Johnson wrote in message <38980B6B.62738163@ozemail.com.au>...
>>On Tuesday Feb 15, G7 will depart Sydney at 0842 for an XPT speed test to
>>Newcastle for a 2'27"
>>run.  On the up it will stop at Hamilton, Broadmeadow, Cardiff, Fassifern,
>>Morisset, Hornsby and Strathfield for a 2'16" run.

>1    Does "G7" mean the Outer Suburban Tangara set with that number?

It's G-set number 7, and the probably reason it's being used for the speed
trial is that it's the prototype AC-traction set.

>2    Doesn't look like XPT speed ... more like 36/38 class speeds

XPT's are rated to run at a maximum of 160 kp/h, which is equivalent to 100
mph, which itself just happened to be what the old Newcastle Flyer could
achieve with a 38 class hauling the train.

>3    And why is it happening?  Technical curiosity?  G sets to replace V
>sets?  New train design?

More evaluation of the AC-traction equipment I presume, perhaps due to a
desire to use it on the new trains when they are built.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport