Re: Fate of 85/86 class

John McCandless wrote:

>  > And also, whatever happened to environmental resposibility? The
> > electrics are much cleaner than any diesel will ever be. While cheaper,
> > diesel produces noxious gases and carcinogens aplenty and considering
> > the scale at which the diesels are used in Sydney (where electrics could
> > be used) that's a huge contribution to pollution levels.
>
> True, it's a lot easier to control the emissions out of 2 or 3 smokestacks
> at the power station, than it is to control a fleet of diesels....
> BUT, what is a worse pollutant?  Is it diesel exhausts or common-or-garden
>  super and unleaded engines?

I recall a statistic (put out by the NRMA or nsw gov. I think) that said
diesel motor vehicles were responsible for 75% of all motor vehicle pollution
in Sydney, despite there much smaller numberof these compared with the number
of petrol vehicles. Of course my memory could be completely or partially
faulty.

Ben Munro