Re: [VIC] Gippsland Rail Fanning

The Sale - Hillside train seems to run when it suits those who operate them.
Now that T class locos are running at last (with their pathetic horns that I
can barely hear at Stratford) there is only one trip a day compared to the 3
or 4 that the RTL ran. The T has run back light from Hillside in the morning
and returned in the afternoon. This seems to depend on the crew. Anyone who
has been to Hillside will know that there is NOTHING there to do between
trains - apart from leave.
T's can run at 50km/h (the RTL was allowed 65km/h I believe) and one hauled
21 wagons on the down last Thu 3.2. It barely fitted between the level
crossings either side of Stratford station. (Down trains need to stop here
and turn the Hobson St signals on). Unfortunately the return trip was much
slower due to the heat playing havoc with the rails.
 I get to Stratford around 10:00 and often see a train on my way to Sale.
But they have been known to leave much earlier. I usually see a down train
at 10:00, but have also seen it travelling up at this time. It can return
through Stratford from about 16:00 to 17:00 - give or take quite a bit. You
need to either take a chance, or ask.
Plenty of photo opportunities if you know the right roads. And at 50km/h or
less, no speeding needed to stay ahead well of the train.
The up log train generally departs Sale at 17:30. That is the only time I'm
sure of at the moment.

Enjoy,

Darren Hodges
(Hobbies Plus - Stratford)