Re: Digital Cameras

In article <rlqo9ss7qplj17jlc20bapg3730828gim1@4ax.com>,
Andrew Price  <aprice@mail.dotcom.fr> wrote:
>On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 15:54:37 GMT, jtbell@presby.edu (Jon Bell) wrote:
>
>>One concern that I have about digital cameras has to do with the number of
>>pictures I take on a long trip.  It's easy to take along several rolls of
>>film, and if I run out, I can easily buy more film on the road.  How would
>>it look from the cost standpoint to stock up on enough memory cards to
>>accommodate a couple hundred pictures?  I don't have a laptop computer to
>>take along for picture storage.

 Zip make some silly little 'click drive' that you plug the flash card into
and it copies all the files off.

>That occurred to me too, but I see that Sony has a model which stores
>its pictures on floppies.  Does anyone know how it compares with the
>other cameras which use expensive memory cards?

 But a floppy drive is 2mb max. 2mb is a small flash card.

 We have a Nikon here at work that has 1600x1200 resolution. I tend to
use it at that resoultion and 'fine' mode compression. That results in
600-800k sized files. How many of those would you get a on a floppy disk?

 Said camera as a 64mb flash card in it these days. It was shipped with a
8mb card. The Nikon has mode where it doesn't compress the file at all. Thats
a 6mb file. One picture fits on the memory card that comes with the camera.

 The trouble with digital cameras is the technology is still changing to
fast. What ever you buy will be obsolete very quickly.
 A good SLR will hold its value. There are still things you need a proper
camera for. Digitals are not that good yet.