Re: Phantom Bells

C. Dewick wrote in message <87a780$4i5$1@jedi.apana.org.au>...

>>But regardless of that, Craig said it was the media overstating the
problem,
>>and I still submit that it has the potential to be quite serious.
>
>Of course, but the incidence of it happening compared to the number of
>trains and number of passengers moving about the system is soo small that
>when it *does* happen, the media latch on as they normally do and make a
big
>deal out of it.

The same could be said about Glenbrook - using your argument, because such
an accident happens so infrequently, in comparison with the number of trains
and number of passengers moving about the system, it is insignifigant.

Perhaps they are doing the right thing by getting onto it NOW before
something happens?

>>You say that commonsense says you don't go when the doors are open, but
>>there have been a number of incidents where if things had gone properly,
the
>>incidents would not have occurred - basic human error type incidents.
>
>>You cannot rule out the possibility that a driver would hear the bell and
>>start moving, even with the doors open.
>
>No, and it's happened to me too. It's often quite easy to hear a bell on a
>train on ad adjacent platform and think it's yours, especially since there
>seems to be a program going on to fit new (almost silent) door mechs being
>fitted to the trains, and if there's anything more than minimal ambient
>noise, it's very difficult to actually hear that the doors are closing from
>the driver's compartment.

Which was the point I was trying to make to Railway Rasputin II - I am not
criticising drivers here. This is a systemic problem, one which has the
potential to cause quite a few injuries. It is not a media over-reaction.

Dave