Re: Phantom Bells

C. Dewick wrote in message <876qin$1cu$1@jedi.apana.org.au>...
>"Lourie Smit" <lsmit@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>
>>According to todays Daily Telegraph this is the latest problem to hit
Sydney
>>Trains.
>>It is reported that a packed train lurched 10 m forward at Town Hall
station
>>yesterday possibly as the result of 'Phantom Bells'.
>>Satate Rails siad that the warning bells may have been rung by an
>>unauthorised person.
>>The Daily Telegraph believes the train may have fallen victim to socalled
>>'Pantom Bells'.
>
>Phantom bells do occur.. They were a continual problem with Tangara's for
>quite a number of years due to electrical interference from other on-train
>equipment, and they can very infrequently occur due to jumper couplings
>shifting about on any type of train.
>
>Of course the media blows anything like this completely out of proportion.

I don't know about "blowing it out of proportion" - sounds pretty serious to
me.

Imagine peak hour at Town Hall, masses of people getting on (or off -
depends on which peak) and all of a sudden the train takes off while they
are still getting on or off - bound to be some injuries (even if they are
minor).

Dave