Re: alt.binaries.rail.australia idea. any support?

James Brook said in message <38980409.8803A9D@ozemail.com.au>, I
therefore quote:

>If you are only going to post the images to a newsgroup then all you
>have to do is upload them and post a link to the newsgroup. You don't
>need to write any HTML.

James,

Unfortunately that seems beyond the capability of a lot of people :(

You are right in saying you don't need HTML to show off your pics. Upload
your images to another directory within your web server, and most web
servers will actually show a listing of images in that directory, including
the date/time it was uploaded, and the filename, and even a description if
you can write up a file to do so.

It isn't exactly rocket science.

For an example of what I am talking about, look at
http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/diesel

Neatly formatted, you can click on the "name" "date" "description" links up
the top to sort accordingly, and you don't even need to write HTML to do
it!

It's as simple as:

1) scan image, save to hard disk.
2) load FTP program, log into webpage dir (quite easy)
3) drag and drop image to the directory on the FTP server
4) advertise the directory to everyone on the newsgroup.

It beats:

1) scan image, save to hard disk
2) load up news reader, go to alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.rail
3) create new message, insert image as attachment
4) repost image a few days later because someone missed it, or a part of it
5) send it via email to those who cant access binaries.erotica.rail
6) tell other newsgroups that it exists in the binaries group

Having given that comparison, the implications of taking option (2) are:

1) more wasted time reposting image for the next day or so
2) more wasted time emailing image to those who cant access erotica.rail
3) wasted bandwidth across the internet. isp's connected to Telstra (most)
pay 19c per mb. Consider, that you sending your binary out a few times,
will end up on an isp's news server. Most cases, the end user will foot the
cost through higher isp charges, or bans on binaries.erotica.rail or any
binaries groups for that matter.
4) binaries on usenet are outdate. as david bromage stated, it was useful
when web servers were expensive. web space is free these days. USE IT.

Now that I said that again, it's pretty obvious that the
binaries.erotica.rail advocates out there will be stubborn enough to ignore
every single thing that i pointed out above. Well guys, it's your loss when
your ISP charges go up through the roof. Selfish if you ask me.

That said, I have some pictures of my own online. Albeit, not very good
quality, but they are there. The quality will improve as I eventually
purchase a slide scanner. Check out:

http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk/scans/nr-an.gif
http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk/scans/da3.gif
http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk/scans/budd.gif
http://www.netstra.com.au/~mk/scans/an-an.gif

All are products of my latest trip to South Australia.

>From the top down the are:
* NR Liveried AN class loco
* The loco I dubbed the green banana, DA3, which was involved in a level
crossing accident a couple of years ago
* A disused Budd car, sitting at Port Pirie.
* Australian National liveried AN class loco.

And that is all.

Thats my rant, over.

Regards
Michael.

--
Michael Kurkowski
Email: mk@netstra.com.au

Children in the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause children.