Re: Train Order working in NSW

John MacCallum wrote in message <38961563.5D0E8301@lisp.com.au>...

I may be totally off the mark here, but here goes.....

>Eddie covered the main points of the use of Point Indicators and
>and Main Line Indicators quite well.
>
>The main thing is that with Point Indicators once the FPL is unlocked
>with an Operators Key when it is reversed it causes the Point Indicator
>to move to the Horizontal. (Think of a Semaphore signal at stop)

So, when the points are then set for the loop and the FPL is then returned
to the "Locked" position, the arm returns to the diagonal? If not, then it
is actually an indicator of which way the points lie, isn't it? If it does
return to the diagonal, see my next point.

>If the Point Indicator is showing anything other than a diagonal
>indication it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure that the
>points are set for the Intended route. Therefore a driver when
>approaching a Train Order location must have the train under control
>and be able to stop before the Point Indicator if it is not set for
>the Intended route.

But if it is an indicator of the setting of the FPL, which should be locked
at all times regardless of the lie of the points, then the driver should be
in a position to stop the train at all times, regardless of the indication
of the indicator.

If the indicator was diagonal, but the points set for the loop, then
travelling at full speed could be catastrophic.

Dave