<campblbm@ozemail.com.au> writes:
> >From: "Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au>

> >Of course, I took the opportunity to look at any relevant railway sites
in
> >the process. The most obvious thing to see is the installation of the new
> >style of point indicators, similar to those used by QR. The difference
> >between the NSW and Qld installations are that the Qld ones generally
> >indicate the direction of a set of throwover points whereas the NSW ones
> >indicate the status of the facing point lock.

I hate to be pedantic, but the QR point indicators (& Tasrail too) actually
indicate whether the points are locked or not.  45 deg for locked,
horizontal for unlocked.  They are AFAIK always used at Trailable Points.
Tasrail uses a style of point indicator at non-trailable points that looks
like a switchstand, but the points are ususally worked from a throwover
lever.

> >What I want to know is

> >When does the NSW type machine indicate anything other than clear? Is it
as
> >soon as the the FPL starts to move or is it later?

> They move with the lever.

> >What is the indicator meant to indicate under TO working? At present a
> >driver can be assured that the points at an intermediate siding are
locked
> >as he (generally) has the key. At a staff station, the points are
normally
> >detected and the home signal cannot be pulled off without the points
being
> >set correctly and locked.

> They indicate the points are set and locked for a straight ahead movement.

> >What happens  when TO working is introduced? Is the ground frame simply
set
> >up so that it works independently of signals or tokens? If so, how? Is
there
> >a standard key used to unlock ground frames, presumably under the
authority
> >of a train order?

> I presume the would be unlocked with the annet key, which would be in the
> signal box, on one of the levers, which is current practice.

Are all mainline turnouts getting point indicators under TO? If so, you
wouldn't need anything more than a padlock on top of the point indicator
would you?

Also, has NSW installed any trailable points?

Questions questions....

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur