><campblbm@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>> >From: "Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au>
>
>> >Of course, I took the opportunity to look at any relevant railway sites
>in
>> >the process. The most obvious thing to see is the installation of the
new
>> >style of point indicators, similar to those used by QR. The difference
>> >between the NSW and Qld installations are that the Qld ones generally
>> >indicate the direction of a set of throwover points whereas the NSW ones
>> >indicate the status of the facing point lock.
>
>I hate to be pedantic, but the QR point indicators (& Tasrail too) actually
>indicate whether the points are locked or not.  45 deg for locked,
>horizontal for unlocked.  They are AFAIK always used at Trailable Points.
>Tasrail uses a style of point indicator at non-trailable points that looks
>like a switchstand, but the points are ususally worked from a throwover
>lever.

Well that's my point. What the hell do the NSW things indicate. If they stay
at 45 deg when the FPL is fully home and then fall to horizontal as soon as
the lever moves then they make sense, otherwise why bother. None of the
points I have seen are trailable.

Barry Campbell

(Has not operated a FPL since January 1980)