Re: [NSW] RTM (was: Countrylink & Sydney things to do)

"Dave Proctor" <thadocta@spambait.dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
87548c$2h7$2@news1.mpx.com.au">news:87548c$2h7$2@news1.mpx.com.au...
> The Railway Rasputin II. wrote in message
> <38955D3F.FCD0B6C1@fastlink.com.au>...
> >Not officially but I can name some:
> >
> >5096, 3526, 1 x 30 class tank out of 2 30 class tanks, 1905?? and the 26
> >class is rumoured to be pretty good along with one of the 32 class but
> >can't confirm this. Any of the oil burning locos are supposed to be
> >pretty good too if you believe certian members of the museum.
> >
> >There is a fund/push to get the 35 class running.
> >
> >Then there are the ones that should be running:
> >1709, 3001, 5910, 3642 etc.
>
> Any chance of 4001 getting back up and running? This should be returned to
> operational condition on hysteri.....oops, I mean historical grounds
alone.

> Dave

I think the long term plan is to get 4001 running but it requires a lot of
work. It has no engine or traction motors so the 244 engine in the K truck
at Thirlmere would need to be overhauled and fitted. It would most likely be
fitted with auto transition as the parts are available and the Alco RS? was
available with auto transition but the NSWGR didn't get it to save money.
There is also a large number of diesels now to be maintained and this
stretches the resources a bit thin.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton